Where is Henderson?
(see map below)
Places to eat:
510-518 Main Street
Toody's Sweet Treats
417 Main Street
What to see and do?
Henderson Community Building – Former Sibley County Courthouse now houses the city hall, Golden Age Center, Archery Club. The building was built in 1879 and served Sibley County government until 1915 when the seat was moved to Gaylord. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places. (600 Main Street)
Sibley County Historical Museum – An 1884 brick house which serves as a museum since 1949. There are many interesting displays, ranging from items that immigrants brought from Europe to turn-of-the-century items. The house is on the national Register of Historic Places. (700 Main Street)
The Joseph R. Brown Minnesota River Center – 600 Main Street. 2nd floor of the Henderson Community Building. Houses exhibits and displays of Henderson and Minnesota River Valley History.
Minnesota New Country School – a Minnesota public charter school which focuses on community and parent involvement, the environment and performance based learning. (210 Main Street)
Ney Nature Center – The Ney Nature Center is a 446-acre Environmental Learning Center and Le Sueur County Park located on the bluffs of the Minnesota River near Henderson, Minnesota. The property is adjacent to the old East Henderson depot and village site, which has public access to the Minnesota River. It is open to the public for hiking, birdwatching, and X-C skiing. It also serves as a regional teaching station for Community Education and Ney Foundation programming. We also have facilities available for rent for events such as weddings, private parties, and meetings.
Bender Park – A multi-purpose recreational facility that features lighted ballpark, walking trail, picnic shelter, and basketball court. The park is the headquarters for the annual Sauerkraut Days festival. (200 North Third Street)
Minnesota River Levee – A permanent levee constructed to protect Henderson from disastrous flooding. The levee provides a walking trail, where native grasses and an up-close view of the river can be seen. Located on the east side of levee is a Minnesota DNR boat landing.
Allanson’s Park – Henderson’s founder, Joseph R. Brown set aside land for a public park in 1855. The park provides 15 developed campsites, a picnic shelter with rest rooms and shower facilities, play ground equipment, and walking trail. (500 South Street)
Rush River State Wayside – A 260-acre site that is part of the Minnesota Valley Trail System. The park has a picnic area with shelter, hiking trails, camping and fishing. The facilities are rustic with running water. (2 miles southwest of Henderson)
High Island Park – In the park a walking trail leads down from the open level picnic area into the rugged High Island Creek.